Tinsmith and Metal Work An Amana tradition from the start Metalwork has been taking place in the Colonies from the beginning. These artisans are keeping…
Some of our businesses have viewing galleries or give tours and others provide yummy samples of what they’ve made. We think you’ll have a great time discovering those made in Amana products and marvel at all the things made by the people of our small seven villages.
These businesses all feature items they have been made or are made by local artisans and crafters. If you’re looking for something made locally be sure to ask and the shop keeper will point those items out. We are very proud of the large number of items made in our small villages.
- Furniture, clocks, and wooden items of all types
- Woolen blankets, cotton throws, scarves, and tote bags
- Knives and ironwork
- Brooms and Baskets
- Food in the restaurants
- Package food products
- Art work of all types
- Baked goods
- Chocolate and fudge
- Sausages and other meat items
- Smoked meats, bratwurst and sausages
It is amazing how much is made in these seven small villages of around 1,500 people. That shouldn’t be too surprising since they were almost self-sufficient from 1855-1932. Most everything that our ancestors needed they made themselves.
Today, some of the original businesses still operate and many of the crafts that were practiced by members of the communal society have become businesses in their own right. Be warned that not everything you see in Amana is made right here, that really wouldn’t be possible but many items are and shopkeepers will gladly point them out.
Listings for Local Goods
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Located in the historic village of Amana, Iowa, White Cross Cellars is a new approach to the Amana Colonies wine industry. While the Amanas have long been famous for fruit wines, White Cross Cellars delivers a more traditional approach to the wines of the Amanas. We feature Award-winning wines from classic wine grapes as well as Midwestern varieties; producing a wine in the European or California style. Our specialties are white wines reminiscent of the traditional German and French styles, along with red dinner wines designed for beef and Italian dishes. Our wines are available in limited quantities and sold exclusively at our retail site in Amana. White Cross wines were born from a desire to handcraft a traditional grape wine for the visitors to the Amana Colonies. White Cross wines feature decidedly German, French, and California styles while using classic wine making grapes along with Midwestern varieties many grown at a vineyard within 20 miles from our shop. Our wines are designed and handcrafted to meet a particular palette. We determine the style of wine desired and then employ our winemaker to achieve that style. Our goal is to change the way our visitors think of wine from Amana. White Cross Cellars is setting a new standard in Amana Colony wines. Join us on facebook: at White Cross Cellars Visit our blog: The Gourmet Colony thegourmetcolony.tumblr.com/ as we celebrate food and wine from the Amana Colonies and beyond. Join us for our Vintner’s Dinners or take our Food and wine Pairings 101 class. Visit our website for more information.
- In the good old days, everything was made by hand, and the traditions were passed from generation to generation. At the Chocolate Haus, we’ve taken the heritage of craftsmanship and the rich history of chocolate-making and poured them into a steaming copper kettle to produce a purely decadent chocolate sensation. Century-old recipes made by hand ensure a chocolate experience that’s as rich in flavor as it is in history. Our History Part of the world famous, historic Amana Colonies, The Chocolate Haus endures to preserve the fine art of preparing chocolate sweets for chocolate lovers everywhere. Tourists from across the globe have watched as we create chocolate delights, hand-dip strawberries and fashion our mouth-watering fudge. Our charming and warm store welcome visitors with seating inside and out on our patio. Mission Statement The Chocolate Haus specializes in providing high quality assorted chocolate to people who appreciate the characteristics of mouthwatering candy. We focus on our heritage of handmaking our candy from 100-year old recipes with the finest ingredients. We are sensitive to the look and taste of every single piece of candy we sell and we strive to furnish a wide variety of assorted chocolates, novelty chocolates, and specialty candies that meet the needs of every customer. We always provide the best possible value to our customers who care about quality chocolate, and we want every dollar spent with us to be well spent so that they keep returning to us. Customer satisfaction is always our number one priority. While always striving to be better and developing unique products, we will do whatever it takes to be successful in every way. Plus, our mission in life is to have fun doing it! Find us on Facebook! The Chocolate Haus
- Fireside Winery in the Village is gourmet food shop conveniently located next door to its sister company, Ackerman Winery, on the main street of Amana. Wines are sampled daily from our local Fireside Winery located 15 miles southwest of our store. If you’re feeling adventurous, we offer Extreme Wine and Food pairings for adults and children. To compliment the wine, Fireside Winery in the Village carries over 70 cheeses. In addition to the wonderful wine & cheese, you will discover a wide selection of pickled vegetables, preserves, mustard, honey, vinegar & oil, spices, coffee and tea. Guests will experience an eclectic gift shop with fun items for children, adults and pet lovers. If you’re searching for a special Amana gift, let us help you by creating a gift basket. Choose from one ready-to-go or create your own. When you get home and wish you had purchased more, visit our online store to restock on those favorites.
- Fern Hill Gifts and Quilts has a unique and inviting collection of Handmade Iowa quilts, antique quilts, fabric and Stephanie Brandenburg and Frond Design Studios fabrics, architectural antiques, antique furniture, gifts, cards, home decorating, garden, florals, sweets and beverages. There are 3 floors brimming with wonderful items to decorate your own home. Open year-round!
- Some years ago, three Amana men decided to revive an art that hadn’t been practiced in Amana for years–the art of brewing beer. Carroll F. Zuber and brothers, James and Dennis Roemig had a dream of building a small brewery to produce small batches of hand brewed beer reminiscent of Europe’s finest brews. To brew the best they needed the best, so they called on one of America’s premier brewers, Joseph Pickett Sr. who helped in the brewery design and in development of the robust Schild Brau Amber. Currently Millstream brews 15 different beers throughout the year. In 1985 Millstream Brewing Company opened it doors-the first brewery to operate in Amana since 1884 and the first micro brewery in Iowa. So the Millstream Brewery was born and so it has come to be recognized as the home of quality brews of rewarding tastes. We start with pure water and the finest malted grains from America’s heartland. We add European varieties of American hops and our own Bavarian yeast. Unlike the big breweries, we can take the time to cold-filter our beer, giving you the clear, crisp, full flavors and resilient, creamy head characteristics of a well-made lager. We are still here in Amana, making beer the way it should be… and we have the awards to back it up. The Schild Brau Amber is an 16 time national award winner, the John’s White Ale has received 9 awards, the German Pilsner has received 4 awards, the Back Road Stout has received 4. For a total of 33 national awards! Visit our brewery in the scenic Amana Colonies. We are located just across from the Woolen Mill in Main Amana. Enjoy the gemutlichkeit of the hospitality room/gift shop and sample our beers and sodas. Viewing windows allow visitors to see the brewing and bottling areas, as well as the fermentation cellar. Then relax and enjoy a beer in our hop-covered biergarten.
- Catiri’s Art Oasis was established in 2001. Ithiel & Jenise Catiri decided to move to the beautifully wooded rolling hills of Amana to establish a life, creating & selling their artworks. Over the years, the gallery has rapidly evolved to its present location nestled in the historic village of Main Amana, Iowa. Located in the historic Noe’ Haus and displaying over 100 regional artists works, it is a true art oasis. We are all about promoting the arts! We just can’t imagine life without art! We want to share that excitement with everyone! Catiri’s Art Oasis has a passionate team of creative thinkers that link the chain between the customer and the artists, making it easy & efficient to make the addition of unique, one of a kind art to your collection, design and decor. With over 100 artists in all varieties of mediums and styles, there is always something perfect. Catiri’s Art Oasis has a wonderful comprehensive package, offering originals (watercolor, oil, pastel, acrylic, pen & ink), prints (limited edition giclee, hand-colored etchings), ceramics (functional & decorative, wood-fired, sculptural), glass (Fused, blown, lampworked) & many other accents.
- Amana furniture, designed and hand-built in the Colonies since the 1850’s, has an enduring reputation for high quality and timelessness. The Amana dierence is a focus on craftsmanship, using century-old building methods that have been passed down for generations. Today, these standards are still applied to our exceptional heirloom-quality furniture, clocks, and home décor. Meticulous care is taken in matching wood grains, testing durability, and expert finishing to enhance the wood’s natural beauty. Many locally made gifts also available. Our craftsmen are both designers and builders, and turn their experience, passion, and know-how into pieces that expertly blend heritage craftsmanship with modern insights. Enjoy our workshop viewing gallery and learn more about handcrafting authentic Amana Furniture while watching our craftsmen work.
- AJ’s Copper Garden & Metal Art Gallery is a sales outlet for the artists studio located next door. 10 artists build metal art sculptures of Copper, Brass & Stainless Steel. These sculptures are simply amazing creations from a team of award winning artists. Come in and see the huge assortment of metal sculptures for the home and the garden. Watch the artists working next door in their studio.
- Climb the rainbow boardwalk to the Deborah Kimm Gallery. Enjoy a comfortable, casual shopping experience housed in the spacious 2,000 square foot lower level of our home. Our delightfully quirky antique brick & cedar house is nestled in the woods of ‘Waldenburg’, German translation for home in the woods. Browse the gallery! Here you will find an eclectic collection of original fine art and crafts, antiques, original & print batiks, hand-blown glassware, home & garden accessories, affordable prints and award winning fine photography by artists from around the corner and around the world. DKG is also an authorized dealer for ‘The Naked Bee’ organic lotion featuring the delightful scent of Orange Blossom Honey. One of my favorite things is the NB facial sunscreen & body lotion made with “All the good stuff,none of the bad stuff”! Engage in a little bird watching if you like and take some time to relax and enjoy a complimentary beverage with a delicious sweet treat. A little off the beaten path… Located 2 miles north of Main Amana off Highway 151 at 3172 121st Street. The Deborah Kimm Gallery is open May through November on most Sundays from 11:00am to 4:00pm. Appointments are welcome! Call 319-213-5466 to visit the gallery outside of business hours.
- Brau Haus: (Definition) The name simply means Brewing House! In August 2016 the Millstream Brau Haus was born! For years the Millstream Brewery owners had said that it would be wonderful to add an authentic German Bierhalle to the Amana Colonies. Great German bar food paired up with great German-style beers (plus a few others…) is now the theme of our new venue! Adding the Brau Haus gives Millstream Brewery the opportunity to make more ‘one of a kind’ brews and specialty beers only to be sold in the Brau Haus! And of course, these special brews are complemented by delicious German-style pub food! No family style meals here, just good old Amana made brats, Chicken Schnitzel Sandwiches, Hand-made twisted pretzels and much more. We create a “One of a kind” experience for all to enjoy during your visit to the Historic Amana Colonies. With our great staff, we feel blessed to have such a wonderful family at the Millstream Brau Haus! We hope you enjoy your visit!
- We have moved: We have moved our store to a better location in Amana which is much more convenient for our customers to find. This location was previously “kissed by nature” and is number 13 on the 2012 guide map. We offer high quality handmade Knives and Ironworks. Our knives are all handcrafted locally by craftsmen with each having over 26 years experience in knife making. Our ironwork is hand forged in Amana.
- The art gallery and studio are open on Fridays and Saturdays from 10 to 5, Sundays from 10 to 4….and by appointment. The studio is located in a 1868 Amana home that was once a communal kitchen. The home is adjacent to beautiful floral gardens which are the inspiration for many of the artist’s creations. There are five rooms of contemporary and traditional oils and watercolors on display. Relax and enjoy the “get away from it all” beauty of Homestead, an Amana village.
- Something for everyone! Creative Colony has whatever style you’re looking for, country to Americana, primitive to contemporary. You’ll be amazed at the diversity of our handcrafted products. We carry items for your home; furniture, framed art work, flower arrangements, quilts, baskets, pottery, kitchen wares, hand-woven rugs, and soy candles. We have unique gift ideas; soaps and lotions, fused glass and stained glass, whimsical signs, garden art and pet accessories. For the personal touch; we have jewelry, hand-woven scarves, stylish purses, appliqued t-shirts and sweatshirts. Our children’s room offers doll clothes, wooden toys, bibs, blankets and small treasures. No matter what your favorite holiday, our Holiday rooms will surprise and delight you with decorating options. From our homes to yours. We want you to realize the care and quality workmanship that goes into our handcrafted products, many one-of-a-kind, knowing that you’ve purchased a treasure that will last for many years.
- I am an experienced wedding photographer that recently moved his family from Southern California to the inspiring Amana Colonies! I am passionate about capturing weddings and your special moments! I strive to provide couples with heirloom quality photographs and wedding albums. Please feel free to call me to chat about your special days’ needs. My studio is right in the heart of Main Amana and I would welcome the opportunity to treat you to a cup of java. Moses (Mo) www.DiamondValleyPhotography.com (319) 225-8000 or (951) 551-5502 mobile/text
- Amana textiles express the heritage, value and essence of the originating Amana community. The Amana Woolen Mill is the oldest business in the Colonies and Iowa’s only remaining woolen mill. It’s been in continuous operation since 1857 and can be traced back more than 300 years to Germany. Textiles were critical to Amana’s beginnings. In addition to producing goods for the community’s use, the Mill helped to support the colonists’ communal living; selling textiles across the country gained Amana a national reputation for superior quality. Now, with updated designs, colors and materials, we want to ensure that they’re a part of your future. The Woolen Mill showroom is open Monday-Saturday from 9am-5pm and Sunday from 11am-5pm weather permitting.
- Ackerman Winery is proud to have the distinct honor of being the oldest operating winery in the state of Iowa. The Winery started in 1956 by Harry and Louisa Ackerman. In 1974, their son Les Ackerman along with his wife Linda took over operations and carried on the family wine-making tradition for over 40 years. In 2015, the Ackerman family handed down their long history of wine making tradition to another local family, The Wyants. Bill and Rona Wyant, of Marengo, Iowa (just a few miles outside of Amana) have a long family history of agriculture in the area and started another local winery outside of Marengo in 2007. The Wyant family is proud to continue the tradition of making high quality fruit wines. Ackerman Winery produces close to 2 dozen varieties of fruit and grape wines ranging from traditional dinner wines to exotic specialty wines such as Dandelion, Rhubarb, Mango and Pomegranate. Discounts are available when you buy Six (5%) or Twelve bottles (10%). When you purchase a case of 12, you also get a FREE WINE GLASS! From California to New York state, Ackerman wines are entered yearly in several prestigious National and International Wine Competitions, where they regularly earn top honors and gold medals. They invite you to visit the tasting bar, where complimentary samples are offered daily. Enjoy shopping in the bright spacious store, where you will find unique wine gift items and home decor.
- The Michele Maring Miller Studio Gallery features the works of watercolorist Miller, and the photography and mixed media work of her two daughters. Experience the Amana Colonies through the brush strokes and lens of this talented family. Also featuring pottery from Cedar Falls artist, Jim Kerns. Be sure to visit our West Amana location in the old West Amana Church, open Friday thru Monday 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Since 1973, the Krauss family has been producing fruit and berry wines. We feature over a dozen wines, including Cranberry, Raspberry, and Blackberry, as well as Rhubarb and Dandelion wines. Stop in for a free sample! Our gift shop features many different collectibles. Visit our craft corner, featuring many handmade items by local crafters, including item such as primative stitched pillows with cute quotes , CD clocks, doll clothes and much more.
- Owner Chris Davies and her staff invite you to experience Heritage Designs, a destination for quilters, stitchers and those who love the needle arts. Heritage Designs Quilting & Needlework was established in 1976 and is located in a renovated old granary built in 1895 in the heart of historic Amana. With 14 foot ceilings, the space is perfect for showcasing the shop’s HUNDREDS OF SAMPLE PIECES that are sure to inspire your creativity. In addition to being a full service quilt shop with nearly 4000 fabrics, you can find a full line of supplies for counted cross-stitch, punchneedle, embroidery and tatting. In 2009 Heritage Designs was selected and featured as a Top 10 Quilt Shop in North America by Quilt Sampler magazine. Known throughout the Midwest for an extensive collection of batik fabrics and Asian prints, other fabrics include a treasury of reproduction lines including Civil War and 1930s, as well as a wide variety of designer lines, basics & solids, and classic favorites. There is something for every taste. Browse a wide selection of quilt kits, patterns, books and notions including Dovo scissors from Germany and other unique accessories. Located next to the Amana Visitor’s Center, with ample parking and handicap accessibility, the shop is open 7 days a week with general hours Mon-Sat 9-5 and Sundays 11-4. When you visit be sure to inquire about upcoming events and take advantage of assistance from the knowledgeable and friendly staff. No matter what your style or skill level, you’re sure to leave with a treasure and a smile when you visit Heritage Designs in the heart of beautiful Amana.
- This landmark restaurant is enjoyed by local residents as well as our many visitors. Sometimes, all you really want is a simple, old-fashioned meal. The name “Ronneburg” comes from the medieval fortress in Hesse, Germany, bearing the same name, which sheltered the Amana ancestors during their religious persecution over 200 years ago. The historical Ronneburg Restaurant is located in an original communal kitchen until it opened as a restaurant in 1950, where thick plaster and brick walls complete the ambiance for your traditional family-style dining. Now, for over 60 years, the Ronneburg has been serving German and American dishes including family-style dining, lighter meals, sandwiches, salads, soups, and breakfast. Some of our most beloved specialties include our sauerbraten, wiener schnitzel, jaeger schniztel, and sausages. Want to take a break from all the shopping? Join your friends in our lounge. In addition to our full-service bar, we proudly serve locally produced wines, beers and sodas. Those hosting a private event can reserve our newly renovated Beer Garden, located on the upper level of our restaurant. This is a beautiful space to host rehearsal dinners, reunions, birthday celebrations, anniversaries, and even corporate events.
- The tradition of the Amana Meat Shop & Smokehouse began when the seven villages were a communal settlement and families enjoyed meals together in kitchen houses. Each village had its own smokehouse and meat shop where ham, bacon, and sausage were cured the old-world way with long-held recipes and a commitment to quality. Today the tradition continues, each year thousands of visitors come to Amana to visit our historic shop, sample our products, and take home the flavors of another century. Enjoy the personal service and great selection of mouthwatering steaks, chops, and bratwurst from our fresh meat case. Don’t miss the daily samples of our delicious sausages and other Amana foods while you are here.
- Our shop is located in the village of West Amana, right next door to our Giant Walnut Rocking Chair. Come watch our broomaker handcraft brooms on an old ‘kicker’ broom winding machine. Our baskets are made locally and include traditional German willow baskets with the replaceable bottom rims. We also carry a large selection of handcrafted wooden items made by Schanz Furniture and local craftsmen. So much to see here that you will not want to miss this stop during your visit to the Amana Colonies! Also at this location: The Philip Dickel Basket Exhibit/Museum Gallery features a changing exhibit of baskets from across the USA.
- The Amana General Store was built in 1858 and is a prominent historic landmark in the village of Amana. From the time it was built until 1932, the store served the community with all of their material needs that the communal society did not provide. Today, the General Store continues to offer items from far off places and many Amana and Iowa made products. Amana General Store features two specialized areas; the Amana Coffee & Tea Co., which offers an exclusive line of flavored whole bean coffees and a variety of loose-leaf teas, and the International Christmas Market, a year-round holiday wonderland. You never know what treasure you might find!
- The Amana Arts Guild Center offers a unique attic art gallery and sales shop experience. We specialize in all kinds of “Handmade in Amana” items and we feature rotating exhibits throughout the season. We have baskets, quilts, tinware, blacksmithing, woodwork, toys, pottery, rag rugs, door locks, needlework, brooms, cookbooks and more. We are open May 2 through September 30; weekends only in October, other times by appointment. Special events for the gallery exhibits for 2018 include the World War I Project, a collaboration with the Amana Heritage Museum, the Greater Amana Area Art Show July 5-September 3 and Susanne Sudmeier “Recent Works” exhibit September 6 through November 5th. We are open daily 10:30am-4:30pm, Sunday from 11am-4pm, closed Tuesdays
learn from the locals
Explore Art in Amana gifted painters and so much more Art can take a variety of forms but for many, when you mention the word…
Shopping Extravaganza where you will find small shops of all types You won’t find any mall stores in the Amana Colonies. It’s just not that…