Oldest Microbrewery in Iowa What’s a German community without a brewery? If you take a trip to Germany you’ll find any town of reasonable size…
Being a religious community we are often asked about why we have a brewery and wineries. The answer is simple, it’s our German heritage. Our ancestors brewed their own beer and made their own wine and in the 1800s we had 5 breweries and numerous vineyards. Today, we boast Iowa’s oldest micro-brewery and several award winning wineries. Additionally, coffee was something that was always a part of communal Amana but I dare say today’s variety and quality has improved from those pots steaming on the old communal kitchen stoves.
It has been said the man does not live on bread alone. That’s why in the Amana Colonies we have plenty of ways to wash that bread down. You’ll find places that will make you a fantastic cup or you can take a bag of beans home. Our brewery not only makes award winning beer but fantastic root beer and cream soda. Wine lovers, you’ll find award winning local wines in our tasting rooms as you stroll through Amana.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Listings for Drinks
- Situated along the Iowa Scenic Byway, patrons of family-owned Fireside Winery can unwind while sipping wine under the vine-covered veranda, stroll through beautifully landscaped grounds, or chat with new friends in the tasting room all while enjoying a glass of their favorite handcrafted Fireside wine. At Fireside Winery, there is a wine to please every palate and an experience for every taste. When you long for a quiet break from the hectic pace of life or an upbeat Friday night with music, we invite you to discover everything Fireside Winery has to offer.
- Brau Haus: (Definition) The name simply means Brewing House! In August 2016 the Millstream Brau Haus was born! For years the Millstream Brewery owners had said that it would be wonderful to add an authentic German Bierhalle to the Amana Colonies. Great German bar food paired up with great German-style beers (plus a few others…) is now the theme of our new venue! Adding the Brau Haus gives Millstream Brewery the opportunity to make more ‘one of a kind’ brews and specialty beers only to be sold in the Brau Haus! And of course, these special brews are complemented by delicious German-style pub food! No family style meals here, just good old Amana made brats, Chicken Schnitzel Sandwiches, Hand-made twisted pretzels and much more. We create a “One of a kind” experience for all to enjoy during your visit to the Historic Amana Colonies. With our great staff, we feel blessed to have such a wonderful family at the Millstream Brau Haus! We hope you enjoy your visit!
- This landmark restaurant is enjoyed by local residents as well as our many visitors. Sometimes, all you really want is a simple, old-fashioned meal. The name “Ronneburg” comes from the medieval fortress in Hesse, Germany, bearing the same name, which sheltered the Amana ancestors during their religious persecution over 200 years ago. The historical Ronneburg Restaurant is located in an original communal kitchen until it opened as a restaurant in 1950, where thick plaster and brick walls complete the ambiance for your traditional family-style dining. Now, for over 60 years, the Ronneburg has been serving German and American dishes including family-style dining, lighter meals, sandwiches, salads, soups, and breakfast. Some of our most beloved specialties include our sauerbraten, wiener schnitzel, jaeger schniztel, and sausages. Want to take a break from all the shopping? Join your friends in our lounge. In addition to our full-service bar, we proudly serve locally produced wines, beers and sodas. Those hosting a private event can reserve our newly renovated Beer Garden, located on the upper level of our restaurant. This is a beautiful space to host rehearsal dinners, reunions, birthday celebrations, anniversaries, and even corporate events.
- Ackerman Winery is proud to have the distinct honor of being the oldest operating winery in the state of Iowa. The Winery started in 1956 by Harry and Louisa Ackerman. In 1974, their son Les Ackerman along with his wife Linda took over operations and carried on the family wine-making tradition for over 40 years. In 2015, the Ackerman family handed down their long history of wine making tradition to another local family, The Wyants. Bill and Rona Wyant, of Marengo, Iowa (just a few miles outside of Amana) have a long family history of agriculture in the area and started another local winery outside of Marengo in 2007. The Wyant family is proud to continue the tradition of making high quality fruit wines. Ackerman Winery produces close to 2 dozen varieties of fruit and grape wines ranging from traditional dinner wines to exotic specialty wines such as Dandelion, Rhubarb, Mango and Pomegranate. Discounts are available when you buy Six (5%) or Twelve bottles (10%). When you purchase a case of 12, you also get a FREE WINE GLASS! From California to New York state, Ackerman wines are entered yearly in several prestigious National and International Wine Competitions, where they regularly earn top honors and gold medals. They invite you to visit the tasting bar, where complimentary samples are offered daily. Enjoy shopping in the bright spacious store, where you will find unique wine gift items and home decor.
- In the good old days, everything was made by hand, and the traditions were passed from generation to generation. At the Chocolate Haus, we’ve taken the heritage of craftsmanship and the rich history of chocolate-making and poured them into a steaming copper kettle to produce a purely decadent chocolate sensation. Century-old recipes made by hand ensure a chocolate experience that’s as rich in flavor as it is in history. Our History Part of the world famous, historic Amana Colonies, The Chocolate Haus endures to preserve the fine art of preparing chocolate sweets for chocolate lovers everywhere. Tourists from across the globe have watched as we create chocolate delights, hand-dip strawberries and fashion our mouth-watering fudge. Our charming and warm store welcome visitors with seating inside and out on our patio. Mission Statement The Chocolate Haus specializes in providing high quality assorted chocolate to people who appreciate the characteristics of mouthwatering candy. We focus on our heritage of handmaking our candy from 100-year old recipes with the finest ingredients. We are sensitive to the look and taste of every single piece of candy we sell and we strive to furnish a wide variety of assorted chocolates, novelty chocolates, and specialty candies that meet the needs of every customer. We always provide the best possible value to our customers who care about quality chocolate, and we want every dollar spent with us to be well spent so that they keep returning to us. Customer satisfaction is always our number one priority. While always striving to be better and developing unique products, we will do whatever it takes to be successful in every way. Plus, our mission in life is to have fun doing it! Find us on Facebook! The Chocolate Haus
- Some years ago, three Amana men decided to revive an art that hadn’t been practiced in Amana for years–the art of brewing beer. Carroll F. Zuber and brothers, James and Dennis Roemig had a dream of building a small brewery to produce small batches of hand brewed beer reminiscent of Europe’s finest brews. To brew the best they needed the best, so they called on one of America’s premier brewers, Joseph Pickett Sr. who helped in the brewery design and in development of the robust Schild Brau Amber. Currently Millstream brews 15 different beers throughout the year. In 1985 Millstream Brewing Company opened it doors-the first brewery to operate in Amana since 1884 and the first micro brewery in Iowa. So the Millstream Brewery was born and so it has come to be recognized as the home of quality brews of rewarding tastes. We start with pure water and the finest malted grains from America’s heartland. We add European varieties of American hops and our own Bavarian yeast. Unlike the big breweries, we can take the time to cold-filter our beer, giving you the clear, crisp, full flavors and resilient, creamy head characteristics of a well-made lager. We are still here in Amana, making beer the way it should be… and we have the awards to back it up. The Schild Brau Amber is an 16 time national award winner, the John’s White Ale has received 9 awards, the German Pilsner has received 4 awards, the Back Road Stout has received 4. For a total of 33 national awards! Visit our brewery in the scenic Amana Colonies. We are located just across from the Woolen Mill in Main Amana. Enjoy the gemutlichkeit of the hospitality room/gift shop and sample our beers and sodas. Viewing windows allow visitors to see the brewing and bottling areas, as well as the fermentation cellar. Then relax and enjoy a beer in our hop-covered biergarten.
- Prosit Wines offers samples of award-winning wine daily along with gourmet food products, and gifts. Located on Amana’s main street close to the Ox Yoke Inn, Amana General Store and Catiri’s Art Oasis you’ll find a staff that is friendly and knowledgable on wine. We will help you find a wine that is perfect for your palette. Our wines are handcrafted about 10 miles NE of the Amana Colonies in Iowa’s rolling hills at Cedar Ridge Vineyards. The wines are mostly produced from Cedar Ridge’s estate-grown grapes. Winners of numerous awards, you find that Iowa grapes make wonderful wines. We offer a sparkling wine that recently won the Dick Peterson Award at the 2019 Mid-American Wine Competition as the Best Iowa Wine. It’s very unique to find an Iowa “Sparkler”. When in Amana we urge you to also stop by our sister winery, White Cross Cellars, where you’ll find more award-winning locally made wines using old world grapes with an Iowa twist.
- Fireside Winery in the Village is gourmet food shop conveniently located next door to its sister company, Ackerman Winery, on the main street of Amana. Wines are sampled daily from our local Fireside Winery located 15 miles southwest of our store. If you’re feeling adventurous, we offer Extreme Wine and Food pairings for adults and children. To compliment the wine, Fireside Winery in the Village carries over 70 cheeses. In addition to the wonderful wine & cheese, you will discover a wide selection of pickled vegetables, preserves, mustard, honey, vinegar & oil, spices, coffee and tea. Guests will experience an eclectic gift shop with fun items for children, adults and pet lovers. If you’re searching for a special Amana gift, let us help you by creating a gift basket. Choose from one ready-to-go or create your own. When you get home and wish you had purchased more, visit our online store to restock on those favorites.
- Purchase delicious flavored coffee and loose leaf tea in the heart of Amana. Conveniently located in the lower level of Amana General Store and is sure to knock your socks off. Look out big brand coffee houses! Make your own fabulous coffee every morning…no need to leave home. Join our coffee club, check out our seasonal specialty coffees and shop our darling housewares while you sip samples. Whole Bean Coffee flavors, 8 oz. Whole Bean Bags – regular or decaf, loose leaf, we’ve got what you’re looking for.
- Since 1973, the Krauss family has been producing fruit and berry wines. We feature over a dozen wines, including Cranberry, Raspberry, and Blackberry, as well as Rhubarb and Dandelion wines. Stop in for a free sample! Our gift shop features many different collectibles. Visit our craft corner, featuring many handmade items by local crafters, including item such as primative stitched pillows with cute quotes , CD clocks, doll clothes and much more.
- Located in the historic village of Amana, Iowa, White Cross Cellars is a new approach to the Amana Colonies wine industry. While the Amanas have long been famous for fruit wines, White Cross Cellars delivers a more traditional approach to the wines of the Amanas. We feature Award-winning wines from classic wine grapes as well as Midwestern varieties; producing a wine in the European or California style. Our specialties are white wines reminiscent of the traditional German and French styles, along with red dinner wines designed for beef and Italian dishes. Our wines are available in limited quantities and sold exclusively at our retail site in Amana. White Cross wines were born from a desire to handcraft a traditional grape wine for the visitors to the Amana Colonies. White Cross wines feature decidedly German, French, and California styles while using classic wine making grapes along with Midwestern varieties many grown at a vineyard within 20 miles from our shop. Our wines are designed and handcrafted to meet a particular palette. We determine the style of wine desired and then employ our winemaker to achieve that style. Our goal is to change the way our visitors think of wine from Amana. White Cross Cellars is setting a new standard in Amana Colony wines. Join us on facebook: at White Cross Cellars Visit our blog: The Gourmet Colony thegourmetcolony.tumblr.com/ as we celebrate food and wine from the Amana Colonies and beyond. Join us for our Vintner’s Dinners or take our Food and wine Pairings 101 class. Visit our website for more information.