Oldest Microbrewery in Iowa What’s a German community without a brewery? If you take a trip to Germany you’ll find any town of reasonable size…
You’ll find over 60 different types of wine in the Amana Colonies. Local vintners have been making wine for well over 150 years. Our wine production has its roots in Germany and has long been part of the culture. When our ancestors came to Iowa it was clear that the European grapes wouldn’t grow here so they began experimenting with other varietals and other fruits. Vineyards and orchards were common in each village and wine was made by the village winemaker and stored in the basements of the church. Each adult received an allotment on a monthly basis.
Today the wineries are private businesses and offer both fruit and traditional grape wines. Dry dinner wines and sweet dessert wines are available for sampling throughout the village of Amana. Walk into any of the wineries and you’ll be greeted with “Hello, would you like to try some wine?”. We encourage you to try several, it’s great fun.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Listings for Wine + Wineries
- Situated along the Iowa Scenic Byway, patrons of family-owned Fireside Winery can unwind while sipping wine under the vine-covered veranda, stroll through beautifully landscaped grounds, or chat with new friends in the tasting room all while enjoying a glass of their favorite handcrafted Fireside wine. At Fireside Winery, there is a wine to please every palate and an experience for every taste. When you long for a quiet break from the hectic pace of life or an upbeat Friday night with music, we invite you to discover everything Fireside Winery has to offer. #ourfiresideoryours
- Located in the historic village of Amana, Iowa, White Cross Cellars is a new approach to the Amana Colonies wine industry. While the Amanas have long been famous for fruit wines, White Cross Cellars delivers a more traditional approach to the wines of the Amanas. We feature Award-winning wines from classic wine grapes as well as Midwestern varieties; producing a wine in the European or California style. Our specialties are white wines reminiscent of the traditional German and French styles, along with red dinner wines designed for beef and Italian dishes. Our wines are available in limited quantities and sold exclusively at our retail site in Amana. White Cross wines were born from a desire to handcraft a traditional grape wine for the visitors to the Amana Colonies. White Cross wines feature decidedly German, French, and California styles while using classic wine making grapes along with Midwestern varieties many grown at a vineyard within 20 miles from our shop. Our wines are designed and handcrafted to meet a particular palette. We determine the style of wine desired and then employ our winemaker to achieve that style. Our goal is to change the way our visitors think of wine from Amana. White Cross Cellars is setting a new standard in Amana Colony wines. Join us on facebook: at White Cross Cellars Visit our blog: The Gourmet Colony thegourmetcolony.tumblr.com/ as we celebrate food and wine from the Amana Colonies and beyond. Join us for our Vintner’s Dinners or take our Food and wine Pairings 101 class. Visit our website for more information. SEASONAL HOURS-Jan-Feb closed Monday-Thursday. Please check if weather is questionable.
- Prosit Wines offers samples of award-winning wine daily along with gourmet food products, and gifts. Located on Amana’s main street close to the Ox Yoke Inn, Amana General Store and Catiri’s Art Oasis you’ll find a staff that is friendly and knowledgable on wine. We will help you find a wine that is perfect for your palette. Our wines are handcrafted about 10 miles NE of the Amana Colonies in Iowa’s rolling hills at Cedar Ridge Vineyards. The wines are mostly produced from Cedar Ridge’s estate-grown grapes. Winners of numerous awards, you find that Iowa grapes make wonderful wines. We offer a sparkling wine that recently won the Dick Peterson Award at the 2019 Mid-American Wine Competition as the Best Iowa Wine. It’s very unique to find an Iowa “Sparkler”. Prosit Wines also features wine-related gifts and gifts from selected European wine countries. Our gourmet food items are also very popular. We can suggest some innovative ways to use them for your parties and get-togethers at home. When in Amana we urge you to also stop by our sister winery, White Cross Cellars, where you’ll find more award-winning locally made wines using old world grapes with an Iowa twist. SEASONAL HOURS-Jan-Feb closed Monday-Thursday. Please check if weather is questionable.
- Since 1973, the Krauss family has been producing fruit and berry wines. We feature over a dozen wines, including Cranberry, Raspberry, and Blackberry, as well as Rhubarb and Dandelion wines. Stop in for a free sample! Our gift shop features many different collectibles. Visit our craft corner, featuring many handmade items by local crafters, including item such as primative stitched pillows with cute quotes , CD clocks, doll clothes and much more.
- Fireside Winery in the Village is gourmet food shop conveniently located next door to its sister company, Ackerman Winery, on the main street of Amana. Wines are sampled daily from local Fireside Winery located 15 miles southwest of our store. To compliment the wine, Fireside Winery in the Village carries a wide selection of cheeses and cured meats. In addition to the wonderful wine & cheese, you will discover a wide selection of pickled vegetables, preserves and other charcuterie essentials.
- Ackerman Winery is proud to have the distinct honor of being the oldest operating winery in the state of Iowa. The Winery started in 1956 by Harry and Louisa Ackerman. In 1974, their son Les Ackerman along with his wife Linda took over operations and carried on the family wine-making tradition for over 40 years. In 2015, the Ackerman family handed down their long history of wine making tradition to another local family, The Wyants. Bill and Rona Wyant, of Marengo, Iowa (just a few miles outside of Amana) have a long family history of agriculture in the area and started another local winery outside of Marengo in 2007. The Wyant family is proud to continue the tradition of making high quality fruit wines. Ackerman Winery produces near two dozen varieties of fruit and grape wines ranging from our Raspberry and Blackberry wines to uniquely different wines such as Dandelion, Rhubarb and Mango. Discounts are available when you purchase more. Save $5.00 on six bottles and $15 on twelve bottles. Wine club members save even more! From California to New York state, Ackerman wines are entered yearly in several prestigious National and International Wine Competitions, where they regularly earn top honors and gold medals. They invite you to visit the tasting bar to sample their delicious wines. Enjoy shopping in the bright spacious store, where you will find unique wine gift items. Afterwards, take a bottle to their outdoor Wiengarten or indoor Family Room and share with family and friends.