Foodies Here’s something you can sink your teeth into Wikipedia defines Foodies as a person who has an ardent or refined interest in food and…
We’ve heard people say you can sample your way across Amana. It’s probably true. Many of our businesses offer free samples of foods, wine, and beer. Whether it’s candy, fudge, or sausage these businesses all offer samples. What a concept-you get to try before you buy.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Listings for Places to Sample
- Fireside Winery in the Village is gourmet food shop conveniently located next door to its sister company, Ackerman Winery, on the main street of Amana. Wines are sampled daily from our local Fireside Winery located 15 miles southwest of our store. If you’re feeling adventurous, we offer Extreme Wine and Food pairings for adults and children. To compliment the wine, Fireside Winery in the Village carries over 70 cheeses. In addition to the wonderful wine & cheese, you will discover a wide selection of pickled vegetables, preserves, mustard, honey, vinegar & oil, spices, coffee and tea. Guests will experience an eclectic gift shop with fun items for children, adults and pet lovers. If you’re searching for a special Amana gift, let us help you by creating a gift basket. Choose from one ready-to-go or create your own. When you get home and wish you had purchased more, visit our online store to restock on those favorites.
- Some years ago, three Amana men decided to revive an art that hadn’t been practiced in Amana for years–the art of brewing beer. Carroll F. Zuber and brothers, James and Dennis Roemig had a dream of building a small brewery to produce small batches of hand brewed beer reminiscent of Europe’s finest brews. To brew the best they needed the best, so they called on one of America’s premier brewers, Joseph Pickett Sr. who helped in the brewery design and in development of the robust Schild Brau Amber. Currently Millstream brews 15 different beers throughout the year. In 1985 Millstream Brewing Company opened it doors-the first brewery to operate in Amana since 1884 and the first micro brewery in Iowa. So the Millstream Brewery was born and so it has come to be recognized as the home of quality brews of rewarding tastes. We start with pure water and the finest malted grains from America’s heartland. We add European varieties of American hops and our own Bavarian yeast. Unlike the big breweries, we can take the time to cold-filter our beer, giving you the clear, crisp, full flavors and resilient, creamy head characteristics of a well-made lager. We are still here in Amana, making beer the way it should be… and we have the awards to back it up. The Schild Brau Amber is an 16 time national award winner, the John’s White Ale has received 9 awards, the German Pilsner has received 4 awards, the Back Road Stout has received 4. For a total of 33 national awards! Visit our brewery in the scenic Amana Colonies. We are located just across from the Woolen Mill in Main Amana. Enjoy the gemutlichkeit of the hospitality room/gift shop and sample our beers and sodas. Viewing windows allow visitors to see the brewing and bottling areas, as well as the fermentation cellar. Then relax and enjoy a beer in our hop-covered biergarten.
- Established back in communal days in 1857, the store’s exterior and interior have remained virtually unchanged all these years. The original tin ceiling, wooden floor, and glass-topped display cases still remain. Throughout the store are charming reminders of the good old days, of a simpler time, of the past preserved. They just don’t make stores like this anymore, and there sure aren’t many of them left in existence! The store is truly a “museum” and an authentic general store in one. We have stocked the shelves with an interesting variety of hard-to-find trinkets and unique treasures from days gone by. We offer a wide assortment of gift and food items, toys, books, housewares, handmade soaps, and much more, all reasonably priced. Everyone is sure to find something that brings a smile to their face.
- The tradition of the Amana Meat Shop & Smokehouse began when the seven villages were a communal settlement and families enjoyed meals together in kitchen houses. Each village had its own meat shop and smokehouse where ham, bacon, and sausage were cured the old-world way with long-held recipes and a commitment to quality. Today the tradition of quality continues. Each year thousands of visitors come to Amana to visit our historic shop, sample our products, send gifts through our catalog, and take home the flavors of another century. Enjoy the personal service and great selection of mouthwatering steaks, chops, and bratwurst from our fresh meat case. Don’t miss the daily samples of our delicious sausages and other Amana foods while you are here.
- Situated along the Iowa Scenic Byway, patrons of family-owned Fireside Winery can unwind while sipping wine under the vine-covered veranda, stroll through beautifully landscaped grounds, or chat with new friends in the tasting room all while enjoying a glass of their favorite handcrafted Fireside wine. At Fireside Winery, there is a wine to please every palate and an experience for every taste. When you long for a quiet break from the hectic pace of life or an upbeat Friday night with music, we invite you to discover everything Fireside Winery has to offer.
- In the good old days, everything was made by hand, and the traditions were passed from generation to generation. At the Chocolate Haus, we’ve taken the heritage of craftsmanship and the rich history of chocolate-making and poured them into a steaming copper kettle to produce a purely decadent chocolate sensation. Century-old recipes made by hand ensure a chocolate experience that’s as rich in flavor as it is in history. Our History Part of the world famous, historic Amana Colonies, The Chocolate Haus endures to preserve the fine art of preparing chocolate sweets for chocolate lovers everywhere. Tourists from across the globe have watched as we create chocolate delights, hand-dip strawberries and fashion our mouth-watering fudge. Our charming and warm store welcome visitors with seating inside and out on our patio. Mission Statement The Chocolate Haus specializes in providing high quality assorted chocolate to people who appreciate the characteristics of mouthwatering candy. We focus on our heritage of handmaking our candy from 100-year old recipes with the finest ingredients. We are sensitive to the look and taste of every single piece of candy we sell and we strive to furnish a wide variety of assorted chocolates, novelty chocolates, and specialty candies that meet the needs of every customer. We always provide the best possible value to our customers who care about quality chocolate, and we want every dollar spent with us to be well spent so that they keep returning to us. Customer satisfaction is always our number one priority. While always striving to be better and developing unique products, we will do whatever it takes to be successful in every way. Plus, our mission in life is to have fun doing it! Find us on Facebook! The Chocolate Haus
- The Amana General Store was built in 1858 and is a prominent historic landmark in the village of Amana. From the time it was built until 1932, the store served the community with all of their material needs that the communal society did not provide. Today, the General Store continues to offer items from far off places and many Amana and Iowa made products. Amana General Store features two specialized areas; the Amana Coffee & Tea Co., which offers an exclusive line of flavored whole bean coffees and a variety of loose-leaf teas, and the International Christmas Market, a year-round holiday wonderland. You never know what treasure you might find!
- Since 1973, the Krauss family has been producing fruit and berry wines. We feature over a dozen wines, including Cranberry, Raspberry, and Blackberry, as well as Rhubarb and Dandelion wines. Stop in for a free sample! Our gift shop features many different collectibles. Visit our craft corner, featuring many handmade items by local crafters, including item such as primative stitched pillows with cute quotes , CD clocks, doll clothes and much more.
- At Amana Colonies Popcorn & Ice Cream Company we take great pride in making our gourmet popcorn.We use only the finest ingredients to ensure you enjoy the best gourmet popcorn experience. We use only real cheese and make our caramel from scratch using our family recipe. We are a family owned, local business right the in heart of downtown Amana, Iowa. We offer over 60 delicious flavors of gourmet popcorn that can satisfy anyone with just a few bites. Quality is what we dedicate ourselves to in every batch, made fresh daily in small batches, under watchful eyes, to ensure you enjoy the finest quality gourmet popcorn.
- Purchase delicious flavored coffee and loose leaf tea in the heart of Amana. Conveniently located in the lower level of Amana General Store and is sure to knock your socks off. Look out big brand coffee houses! Make your own fabulous coffee every morning…no need to leave home. Join our coffee club, check out our seasonal specialty coffees and shop our darling housewares while you sip samples. Whole Bean Coffee flavors, 8 oz. Whole Bean Bags – regular or decaf, loose leaf, we’ve got what you’re looking for.
- Ackerman Winery is proud to have the distinct honor of being the oldest operating winery in the state of Iowa. The Winery started in 1956 by Harry and Louisa Ackerman. In 1974, their son Les Ackerman along with his wife Linda took over operations and carried on the family wine-making tradition for over 40 years. In 2015, the Ackerman family handed down their long history of wine making tradition to another local family, The Wyants. Bill and Rona Wyant, of Marengo, Iowa (just a few miles outside of Amana) have a long family history of agriculture in the area and started another local winery outside of Marengo in 2007. The Wyant family is proud to continue the tradition of making high quality fruit wines. Ackerman Winery produces close to 2 dozen varieties of fruit and grape wines ranging from traditional dinner wines to exotic specialty wines such as Dandelion, Rhubarb, Mango and Pomegranate. Discounts are available when you buy Six (5%) or Twelve bottles (10%). When you purchase a case of 12, you also get a FREE WINE GLASS! From California to New York state, Ackerman wines are entered yearly in several prestigious National and International Wine Competitions, where they regularly earn top honors and gold medals. They invite you to visit the tasting bar, where complimentary samples are offered daily. Enjoy shopping in the bright spacious store, where you will find unique wine gift items and home decor.
- Located in the historic village of Amana, Iowa, White Cross Cellars is a new approach to the Amana Colonies wine industry. While the Amanas have long been famous for fruit wines, White Cross Cellars delivers a more traditional approach to the wines of the Amanas. We feature Award-winning wines from classic wine grapes as well as Midwestern varieties; producing a wine in the European or California style. Our specialties are white wines reminiscent of the traditional German and French styles, along with red dinner wines designed for beef and Italian dishes. Our wines are available in limited quantities and sold exclusively at our retail site in Amana. White Cross wines were born from a desire to handcraft a traditional grape wine for the visitors to the Amana Colonies. White Cross wines feature decidedly German, French, and California styles while using classic wine making grapes along with Midwestern varieties many grown at a vineyard within 20 miles from our shop. Our wines are designed and handcrafted to meet a particular palette. We determine the style of wine desired and then employ our winemaker to achieve that style. Our goal is to change the way our visitors think of wine from Amana. White Cross Cellars is setting a new standard in Amana Colony wines. Join us on facebook: at White Cross Cellars Visit our blog: The Gourmet Colony thegourmetcolony.tumblr.com/ as we celebrate food and wine from the Amana Colonies and beyond. Join us for our Vintner’s Dinners or take our Food and wine Pairings 101 class. Visit our website for more information.
learn from the locals
Historic Communal Dinners Taste and experience our history To efficiently feed the population of the seven villages it was decided that meals would be made…
One Original Bakery Still Survives Carrying on a century old tradition During our communal era, each Amana village had a bakery that would supply bread…